So you are new to this world of blogging and website building but unable to get the right kick start. Knowledge is power folks, and your first steps in this field are precious, so be with me as I guide you carefully through these steps
Step 1 <>
Before you get started, it is extremely important that you decide what kind of site you are going to build. Are you building one for your online business store?
Or you want to spread your knowledge through a blog?
Or just giving your hobbies a new dimension!
Before you start, keep in mind the type of audience you are targeting i.e. general or specific groups, country or purpose.
These are some basic points you need to know regarding the making and functioning of websites. You don’t have to be scared of the technical knowhow. Just go through these get armed with the fundamentals you should know.
Domain name : A domain name is your address on the internet, more specifically your identity. This is how your website will be recognized and remembered. You’ll have to pay a fee to get your own domain name, though free domain names and sub-domain names are also available. Starting with a free one is always highly recommended for beginners. A few e.g. of free domain names are dot.tk (www.yourdomain.tk – isn’t it short and sweet?) co.nr, at.ua, 2ya.com etc. Chose the one which suits you the best. Read effect of domain name on search engine ranking
- Hosting it : once you are done getting a domain name for yourself, you need to host it on a web server. Again, these services are paid, but you do have options to try out free hosting services. But these services offer limited disk space and features. Of the many free services I’ve tried, www.ooowebhost.com provides a great free plan with 1.5 GB of disk space which is obviously too good!! They also provide features such as php,mysql,apache the importance of which I’ve described later. Regarding paid services, bargainhost.co.uk provides a standard hosting services which are are definitely trustworthy. With features like free domain, anti virus, statistics analysis, in their budget plan along with 99.9 % uptime, its one the best less expensive hosting service you can opt for. Also they provide great web space which is pretty much sufficient to get the job done!! check out its website builder too. why need a builder? read on!!
bargainhost.co.uk promotional code bargainhost.co.uk promo code
- Nameservers: after completing the above two steps, you need to log into your domain registrar account and specify your name server. Exact details of the nameserver will be provided by your hosting service provider.
The most prominent types of name servers in operation today are the name servers of the Domain Name System (DNS), one of the two principal name spaces of the Internet. The most important function of these DNS servers is the translation (resolution) of human-memorable domain names and hostnames into the corresponding numeric Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, the second principal Internet name space which is used to identify and locate computer systems and resources on the Internet
The next big task is setting up your website. For a beginner with no knowledge in html programming, visual site builders or online site builders are available which allow you create a site by just dragging and dropping items. Online website builders allow you to build your website online and you can set it up within minutes. The best among these are weebly, devhub, ucoz. Though I’ve used google sites, it doesn’t have much to offer. Ucoz can be extremely useful once you get started a bit as it has a lot to offer in its free plan.
Before signing up for an online website builder make sure that they allow a custom domain.
If you want to create blogs, blogger and wordpress are available. Blogger now with google is completely free whereas wordpress too has a free version but with limitations.
The alternative is using a content management system. Read more….
As you try the online web builders mentioned above, you discover that the features offered by them aren’t satisfying. Thinking of getting it done everything on your own? Here’s how you can do it…
CMS or content management system is a software system that provides website authoring, collaboration, and administration tools designed to allow users with little knowledge of web programming languages or markup languages to create and manage website content with relative ease.
The best free one’s available are wordpress and joomla. Other ones are drupal, b2evolution etc. working with wordpress is extremely easy and you may find a huge no of extensions and themes which enhance your website.
To install wordpress on your 000webhostserver, click here.
After setting up your name servers, it is advisable to download a FTP client ( file transfer protocol) The free one is FileZilla and is sufficient for you
The Ftp login details are provided by your hosting service provider.
This FTP client can be used to transfer files from your pc to the web server
Now with the system ready and powered up, go ahead build your dreamsite.
- Domain Names Availability and Finding the Right Domain Names (greatindiebookreviews.wordpress.com)
- A New Way to Get a Free Domain Name Instead of Having to Buy Web Domain Names (prweb.com)
- 100 MEEELLION .com domains now registered (go.theregister.com)
- Registering Your Own Domain Name (answers.com)
- Eight Clever Things You Can Do with Your Underused Personal Domain Name [Domain Names] (lifehacker.com)
- DomainTools Estimates Verisign Manages Over 100 Million .COM Domains (prweb.com)
- Does domain name affect your site ranking in search engines? (mytechsearch.wordpress.com)
- How to Set Up Domain Mapping for WordPress Multisite (doitwithwp.com)
- How to Start a Blog – 15 Steps to Successful Blogging (basicguideforblogger.wordpress.com)